August 14, 2009

What's A Tack Worth?

Even after a long week of racing, Brad still found the time to give us an update on how he's feeling after Day Four of Moth Worlds.

"The wind was definitely more shifty and puffier than I've seen it out here. My second start was not so good, but I was winning the start on the last race of the day (Race #13). Unfortunately, my tacks aren't on the same level as the other guys at the top and that affects my results by about 10%."

"One of the important things on a Moth, in tricky conditions, is to play the shifts right and try to cut down on unnecessary tacks. You can't rush tacks and then go into another tack shortly after. With the Moth, you need to take your time and plan your tacks to work with the shifts- it will for sure help in the long run."

"A big plus for the guys at the top of the fleet are able to remain foiling through their tacks and maintain boat speed- something I"m still working on. I had great boat speed out there today but was losing a lot of ground when I went into a tack."

"We've seen a lot of injuries and fatigue throughout this event. Coming from the Laser class I"m used to long days of hiking and hard sailing. Two of the advantages I have are my hiking pants and a recovery program I've been sticking with. The hiking pants are allowing me to keep the boat flatter while not exerting any unnecessary energy- a key to long events. In between races, I have a coach boat on the water where I can go relax and get ready for the next start. For me, that’s a very important part of the short term recovery program. Once I get off the water for the day, I have a program which includes refueling and stretching, helping to keep my muscles from tightening up and not being efficient the next day."

"This has been a long event, but extremely fun. I'm very happy to be in the top ten with other great sailors and guys who have been my mentors as I’m still learning about the Moth. We have two more races tomorrow- which is a good thing because I think we’re all going to need a rest after this week!"

photo credit: Sean Trew