June 26, 2009

Rick's Morning Update

We know for sure is that il mostro has poked her nose back out in front of the lead group because we can see them all. E3 is the closest- about a half mile to leeward. So there's not much in it and with about 150 miles to go we have our fingers crossed that the wind doesn't die and turn the race into a lottery.

Bob Greenhalgh just commented that the boat feels a bit like a pin ball as we bounce off either the northern and southern sides of the Gulf of Finland. It gets narrower and narrower as we get further in and the tacks become more and more frequent...ding, ding, ding. The J1 has been up since the start although the Masthead Genoa has been teed up a few times this morning only to be canceled each time requiring the guys to pack it up each time and put it back in the stack.

I spoke too soon in my last blog when I said the vessel was running ever so smoothly. My work surface in the media station just collapsed, or should I say got landed on by Salty during the last tack. I'm writing this blog at a crazy angle on top of the media desk and therefore I'm very happy with the smooth seas. Not much further to go for me on this boat.

Rick