June 14, 2009

1443 GMT Update from Rick

1443 GMT: The excitement of the start was overshadowed by the Tele-Blue grounding. Better writers than me are on station recording the aftermath. What I can say is that at the time they hit I was watching them about 100 meters behind as we followed them around a headland. When they hit what I saw made me feel sick to my stomach. All of us on il mostro are praying that no-one was hurt and that the boat is okay.

PUMA is leading the race right now and the fleet is lined up behind us with all boats headed south at a good pace towards Copenhagen. The boat is really rumbling, we have the A-Zero up and one tuck in the main. This is a good angle for us.

A slight worry is that Erle (Erle Williams) seems to have come down with some type of cold or fever. It developed rapidly after leaving the dock. Shannon is administering drugs and monitoring his status.

-Rick