January 28, 2009

Leg Four has been crazy!

I think that of all the crazy things I've done over the years, this last leg probably takes the biscuit. Right now, I'm very happy to be 100 miles from the finish in flat water with the yacht slipping along under flying sails and nicely under control. "Oh and did I mention that E4 is about 5 miles behind"(I will keep my fingers crossed). It's a very pleasant experience after the last ten days of upwind sailing coming from Singapore. Having said that we did sort of have a day off in the middle when we anchored to ride out a nasty storm!



Ocean racing always has a level of inherent danger. We all get that, but this leg probably pushed the boundaries a bit too far which is both thrilling and somewhat scary at the same time. The main comfort we can draw is that, as far as I know there have been no serious injuries to any sailors in the Volvo fleet. The boats however present a different story. Half the fleet is scattered across the South and East China Seas in various states of critical damage. Shore crews and managers must be dealing with unimaginable logistical problems right now. Hopefully, we will see the fleet back together soon. These are really tough waters to sail through, evidenced by the fact that we have not seen a single recreational boater since the start. This seems strange to me after doing most of my sailing on the US East Coast and in Europe where, even in the dead of winter, one will see other yachts or people moving boats around etc. Asia for sure seems much more focused on work than recreation. In coming here you start to realize that that the world you know is not the only world and that in fact everything can be completely different...

On this leg, we have sailed through numerous areas of uncharted fishing nets (that's how we passed E4 they got caught on one- we didn't) and also a whole patch of ocean south of the Spratley Islands that is simply littered with uncharted reefs!!! It's hard to imagine in this day and age. We've been run down by fishing boats and had to steer violently and alter course to avoid logs that float down rivers from jungles in Borneo! The waters around Taiwan seem particularly nasty. They just give off a mean vibe...cold and grey with weird waves and currents created by rocky islands pointing jaggedly out of the ocean and breaking up the ocean into a mess of bad tempered waves. All this sailed under an angry looking sky that promises imminent storms.

Like every boat out here, we've had our fair share of problems onboard il mostro. A broken boom (no small thing), broken frames in the central structure of the boat, a badly injured finger...the list goes on. As always, we've managed to come through things in good shape spiritually. Not a word you hear too often in reference to a sailing team but it's the best word I can think of right now. Our spirit is strong. We are in a great place and overall the boat and crew will be ready for the next stages of the race, although I don't think for a moment that the next leg to Brazil will be any easier- 40 days for God's sake!

It's been really cold the last few days approaching China. I mean COLD, like hovering around freezing - not something that we have gotten used to in this race really since Alicante. We dipped our big toe into the Southern Ocean a couple of times, and on these occasions in the Southern Ocean we only really had to wear thin layers underneath our PUMA foul weather gear. Contrast that with this trip to China where we have been gradually adding layers as things have become progressively colder and wetter the further north we get. It has been the first time that we broke out some of the gear since the development phase which PUMA and the sailing team have been working on over the last few years as the project has come together. I'm happy to report that all our developed footwear, accessories, next to skin, mid-lay and outer shell gear is working out fantastically. I'd like to take this opportunity thank everyone in so many different parts of the company for helping us get this whole line of performance clothing and footwear together in record time. We can sleep a little easier anticipating the next leg which will be another epic of extreme weather conditions. It is now about 90 miles to the finish (I'm a slow typist) and we are probably looking at another podium position. If we hadn't been ready and prepared in all areas but especially regards clothing on this leg, the outcome might have been different. Our result in this leg will definitely be representative of a company wide team effort.



Thanks to - Anja, Sabine, Chuck, Francesco, Brad and all others that I do not deal with directly. You know who you are so give yourself a pat on the back or maybe take 5 minutes extra at lunch today...

I promise We will spray some champagne for you this afternoon.

- Rick