January 18, 2009

A hard goodbye

Right now we are motoring out to the start and I can feel the knot in my stomach starting to subside. I hate the scene at the dock. It is almost too hard to bear sometimes and this one was particularly hard.



I'm not going to see my family for more than two months and saying goodbye was about as hard as it gets. It takes a while to get that picture in your head of them standing on the dock, and put it in a place for later when you need it. Up on deck I can hear the guys prepping the boat, running sheets, putting handles into bags, last minute checks. It is looking as though the trip could be interesting to say the least- definitely a step into the unknown for all of us. There is a very different mood around the fleet...to quote Bad Boys 2: "This shit's about to get real." Hopefully we get a few straight forward days at the front end to just blow away the Singapore cob webs.

We are now three hours into the race and I'm about to send in a picture of the engine seal to Volvo HQ. As I write we are abeam with E4 and heading out into the South China Sea! It's going to be a tough one- bumpy and hot for the first few days and then who knows what?

Apologies for my gloomy disposition today...

-Rick