November 24, 2008

Ricky's Playlist

Last leg I wrote a blog regarding the poor state of my onboard itunes collection and the chain of events leading up to me finding myself in that situation. I'm glad to inform all that the state of affairs has been rectified to some extent. It seems that my blog caused something of a ripple on the internet resulting in our PR group at PUMA putting together an online competition in the Boston office to "Create a playlist for Ricky and win an ipod." Makes sense right, one of those win-win things.

Well the response was overwhelming and I spent a lot of time in Cape Town wading through all of the submissions. The criterion for each entry was to make a playlist of ten songs that would be most suited to a) me and b) evoke sailing and life on a boat. I was given the honor of picking the winner who would win the ipod and PUMA would then download the songs in the wining playlist for me to listen to on the upcoming leg from Cape Town to Kochi in India- which is where and what I am doing as I write.

What am I listening to right now is "Girl Ache" by The Suburbs, brilliant. I've included the full playlist at the bottom but the songs that jumped out at me straight away were "Around the World" by Daft Punk and "Fogma" by Groove Armada, both great songs that I like a lot, the rest of the songs sort of fall into that oh yeah catego...songs that you wouldn't personally pick but when presented as parts of a playlist start to make sense. I want to put a huge shout out to Mr. Ron Perkins who works for PUMA somewhere, and is involved in some aspect of the footwear or apparel business. Thanks Ron, and if you get the chance to make it to any of the stopovers please stop by for a chat and a guided tour of the boat.

The situation was also helped by my son Magnus who put together a few playlists for me. I can honestly say that prior to this trip I had not heard of a single song on his list other than "Whole Lotta Love" and "Don't Worry Be Happy." His list includes tracks from Husky Rescue, Bonobo and Shing02 plus TOKiMONSTA!!! It's all great and I'm enjoying his music very much, thanks son I'm proud of you.

Ron Perkins

1. "Start!"...The Jam (Sound Affects)

2. "Around The World"...Daft Punk (Homework)

3. "The Flat Earth" or "Windpower"...Thomas Dolby (The Flat Earth)

5. "Star Chasers"...4 Hero (Extended Remix)

6. "Fogma"...Groove Armada (Goodbye Country, Hello Nightclub)

7. "Message In A Bottle"...The Police (Live in Minneapolis '79)

8. "Destination"...Schmoov (Back To Mine)

9. "Girl Ache"...The Suburbs (Credit In Heaven)

10. "Win"...David Bowie (Young Americans)