October 21, 2008

Ready for the Equator Boys?

Anticipation is starting to build aboard the vessel for our equator crossing that by my estimation is some 480nm away. We have three equator "virgins" on board, and if I'm not mistaken the official term for them is a polliwog (you can check and get back to me). They are our two youngsters Casey (Smith) and Michi (Mueller) and of course our glorious leader Kenny Read.

All sailors realize that the skipper's word is law on any boat, but a first time equator crossing is the one and only time in any sailor's life at sea where he absolutely must defer to a higher power...or should I say a lower power? Why lower? The equator is the place where Neptune, King of the Deep pays a brief but memorable visit to those who have not passed his way before and delivers his punishment for sins both major and minor –it is totally discretionary on his part.

I remember my first crossing aboard Chessie in the 97/98 Whitbread Race...either I,ve led an exemplary life or Neptune was feeling good that day because I got away with a few galley slops tipped over my head it kind of smelt bad for a few days but we got used to it. I have however heard some terrible stories of his wrath. The big story on our boat for many months has been Michi's fabulous long hair and whether or not he will pass the equator with his mane intact...we'll have wait and see. Casey seems not a bit concerned and is apparently hoping for some form of shaving incident. I sense that Neptune has something up his sleeve for Casey!

That leave's Ken...there's a rumor going around the vessel that il mostro and Green Dragon, also skippered by another equatorial first timer Ian Walker, have spent a lot of time fighting to be the western most boats as an equatorial delay tactic...hard to believe I know but the Doldrums have been known to drive even the best among us to madness...

Sad to say for these poor wretches- we will get there and Neptune will have his moment.

-Rick



Thought of the day- hydration rules. Jerry Kirby